Thursday, May 06, 2010

Perceiving a Constraint

We don't always realize that there is a constraint somewhere. We don't always realize when people are hurting, are overloaded, or overworked. I've been killing myself on a project (regularly working 12+ hour days) for the last month. It's not a reasonable or sustainable pace that I'm keeping. I am unhappy and the customer may be finally starting to become OKAY. They had really high expectations and we had a fixed resource constraint so I jumped in and did a lot of work. But my over-working is about to come to an end.

Hopefully soon, the customer will FINALLY REALIZE that there is a constraint in place and I have been that constraint. I can only do so much and that has to be understood. I can no longer continue the grueling pace that I've been under.

Be careful what you wish and ask for. Be careful of what you sign up for. Try your very best to set REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS with people and get out of the business (if you have to) of doing things above-and-beyond or setting stretch goals. You can only stretch for so long; at some point you will break.

No comments: