Sunday, May 02, 2010

It Will Never All Fit into the Matrix

There are people in this world, myself included, who need to think in terms of matrices. I don't like to think in this way but I often must. I am building systems and databases in my trade and, as I said in a post earlier today, things either fit or they don't: they either fit into a/the matrix or they don't. It is not my INTENTION to think in these terms but I must on many occasions. Things have to boil down to a matrix.

I know a PM who is very good and talented at his craft and he frequently likes to put things into matrices. I think he overuses the tool in fact. When I'm building systems, many matrices are required. But I don't want to burden the customer or my peers with this extremely rigid way of thinking. Thinking in METAPHORS is much easier but not always possible. Asking questions and developing a mental model for MYSELF is often good enough. "Requirements statements", rules, and policies are often good enough to be clear. Knowledge can be represented in very many forms and the matrix represents just one. The world is not a database and never will be.

If you are a matrix-thinker, or a matrix-over-user, or are required by your line of work to be a matrix user frequently, consider your audience and use matrices and matrix-like-thinking sparingly. People are systems, not spreadsheets. Use a variety of methods and don't think of the world as if it will all ever fit into a/the matrix. It won't, so give it up!

No comments: