Thursday, May 13, 2010

Consulting as Learning to a Job Better than Anyone Else Can Do It

In the company that I work for we have a very flexible way of working. It is very "agile". There are no managers per se, although the pecking order is pretty clear at the highest levels. When it comes to the "consultants" (workers), however, things are very open and undefined. This is both good and bad. For example, in me looking to figure out what I am going to do next, I am likely going to find someone within the company who "needs help" doing what they're doing. This person could also be a client who "needs help" with what they're doing.

One of the following things could happen:

  • I help them and free them up so much that they can move onto something else (I become the owner of the role or function)
  • I work with them and figure out the my skills are way different or are complementary to theirs and we grow the team together
  • I go try to do what they're doing and it is either not my interest or not my skillset and I bail

I'm hoping in my next gig that I find #2 but I'd be just as happy if #1 occurred.

No comments: