Friday, February 05, 2010

Plan for a Longer Review When the Next Task is Big or Important

I have a problem that I'd like to share with a coworker to get his input. He's really the customer on this so I don't want to waste his time. I have to get ready to ask the question and engage him. This particular question I want to be reasonably BIG because I want to spend some time with him designing the next mini-sprint or story I'm working on; really the finish of this iteration of the product: the first prototype! I've basically finished my current story "build middle tier" and now I have to work on the next story "enable front end". The new story is pretty complex for me and I don't know much. He doesn't either. I could start in on it and ask him things as I go, bit by bit, but I may ask now, show him what I have so far and step into the next big problem, chartered and re-energized by him.

I'm an idealist and want to have shared mental models and designs between people. I don't want to work alone but sometimes I do and have to. This is the case now where I want to take the risk of engaging the customer so we can co-visualize and plan the last leg of his/her project. I don't want to annoy this person but I want to keep them engaged and involved.

No comments: