Saturday, February 20, 2010

Individual vs. Team Work Velocity

It'd be very nice to always have a team (or at least a pair) of developers, but sometimes this isn't possible; sometimes we've got to 'go it alone'. I'm doing that right now on an app for my friend. I'm fairly good with the basics of getting things to print on the screen but when it comes to making things elegant and beautiful, I am way weaker. I consider these weaknesses "low pri" but if I had another person looking over my shoulder they may be able to help me. Right now I'm going to punt these things I can't do elegantly and am backlogging them with "TO DO:" statements in my code. This isn't a major concern but it raises the question for me of the difference between an individual and team's velocity. In an idea world, all developers would be able to work by THEMSELVES as fast as they possibly can. But there is overlap often, and people have to help people, and there is a team, so what would the net-net of adding people to a team be? Definitely more communication channels…

No comments: