Saturday, March 31, 2012

The hero and the goat

Being humble is everything.  If we are humble
we will not fall as far.
Sometimes we're put into situations where we have to be the hero.  We may not want to be the hero but maybe we have to be for the situation at hand to succeed. 

I've been thrust into situations before where I had to be the hero in consulting roles and it typically turns out very poorly and sucks. 

One time on a Microsoft project I had to do the work and lead the project, so I was wearing too many hats and it wasn't fun at all.  I might have delivered an okay product in the end but the process sucked and I wasn't happy at all: I didn't set expectations wisely and suffered greatly for it. 

The goal in work and life should be to have fun and be successful but in a balanced we: we don't want to ebb and flow so greatly.  There will be times when we actually get to be the hero for a while but that can soon be replaced by the goat if we're not careful.  We can rapidly and agressively fall from the top of the mountain if we're not careful or humble about our place. 

We should always feel like we're on top of the mountain even when we're not and be humble about our place regardless of what it is.

No comments: