Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sprinting at a Sustainable Pace Seems Oxymoronic

I had my primary customer tell me today that my current project should be done by next Friday. I'm fine with that but I have no idea how long it will take. I'm not stressing, either. I told him that I'd sprint on it and give him daily updates, letting him know how it was going. He said, "Don't kill yourself, it's okay [if it slips]." (I have a very kind customer, mind you). The customer must have thought that if I'm sprinting daily, I'm wearing myself out. This isn't true. I'm still having fun and I'm still putting in my standard 8-hour work day. I'm head's down on the project and moving forward as fast and reasonably can. If I determine at some point soon (as fast as possible) that this assignment is mission impossible, I'll tell him, he'll know. My customer's not trying to burn me out and I'm not trying to burn myself out but I'm still trying to dig into the project as it's described as fast as I can and start to move forward so I can determine the velocity of this sprint and if it's tracking with our 1/29 due date. Let's hope it is!

No comments: