Friday, January 22, 2010

Emerging from Your Work and Selling Simple Solutions to Complex Problems

I'm argumentative and hard-headed by nature. That's probably an understatement. Really, I'm pretty much a pain in the butt. But I try to be funny and have a sense of humor. I try to have a good time. I try to be thoughtful. It's my hope that some people will like me, listen to me, and be willing to put up with me for long enough to allow me to tell them what I think about a problem I'm solving. In short want them to buy into me and what I'm selling.

At work, I'm producing a complex analysis of what happens when people log out of Hotmail and use other Microsoft properties. I'm trying to find out some patterns. There are dozens of parameters and variations of the process. I need a simple way to measure it so I can explain it clearly. I've spent about a month working on this now and have been improving my methodology on it. I think I'm getting close to having a robust solution to the problem I've been given.

The next step for me will be to teach people what I did and how they can use it; to promote myself and the product. I want the interested persons to BUY INTO me, my methodology, and product. Only if I've made an elegant solution can I accomplish this. It's not all about personal power, it's about QUALITY. If things appear to be complex or unfinished, people will look the other way.

I'm still in development mode at the moment but I hope to emerge from this state soon in a highly effective and communicative way that allows me to advocate the greatness of my solution.

No comments: