Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Create many teams up front and reap the rewards


In a company where you're compensated based on the number of hours you've worked, you'd better be hungry and prepared to take hours; or you'll go broke.
I've spent a pretty good portion of my week giving my work away to my coworkers by delegating tasks to them and stepping away from the limelight or line of fire on actual work and shirking many of my existing responsibilities. I've gone from consultant to project manager. It's felt pretty good to me to do this and I think that what I am doing is best for the projects, company, and client overall, so this seems like the logical thing for me to do; but it will definitely have a consequence for my pay (not sure right now if it'll be good or bad but of course I hope good!!!).
What I've effectively done is developed business that I can now share with my peers. I am building and growing my team and influence I hope.
Moving forward it's going to be my preference to work on very-early-stage projects and business development activities rather than late stage, well-defined and -baked projects. I don't prefer to be a part of those types of teams. They're too late stage and they've essentially already failed (or succeeded) before they begun due to good chartering and project planning. I want to be a project planner.
I want to *make* the teams. My ideal compensation model will be:
  1. Work on early stage analysis projects to pay the bills; be a consultant. Get paid top dollar for this
  2. Create highly effective delivery teams to do the work right
  3. Sell their work through the delivery; make sure that sales and selling are built in…
  4. Make sure that the projects are controlled and delivering well (remember: reputation, reputation, reputation)
  5. Let the cycle repeat itself

No comments: