Monday, December 06, 2010

Give your customers a new language


One of the biggest parts of being a consultant is getting your assumptions out there, in front of your customers. This could be in the form of a conversation, presentation, or the product itself.

You want your customers driving your development and telling you what they need and want. A big part of this is what I call "exposing the language" to them.

As a developer or product owner, you need tell the market what you are doing (and maybe why). Ie you want to be as *transparent* as you can possibly be.

On one of my current projects I am making a pricing model for the customer and making sure that *he* (and not me) owns the language and improving it. I am just doing my job as a "lowly developer". Know your role. The language is not mine, I am just implementing it.

The more you can engage your audience and push back the assumptions you have so *they* control the outcome, the more free you are to create in an open space.

No comments: