Thursday, December 23, 2010

Make the budget last

Many things in business are fixed-bid, not time- and materials-based. Sure, it's lovely when you're in a situation that you can charge the client for all reasonable time, but this isn't usually the case.

Right now, I'm working on a fixed 80-hour budget that will have to carry me into Jan 7. I've spent almost all of the hours so far, as this is my only project and I'm pretty much full time on it. But what's reasonable to bill?

I have to think about what I have to complete (a statement of work and technical spec and a couple of days of meetings with the client) and how much time that will take (~20 hours). So I think I'm only going to bill for 20 hours this week so I can bill for 20 the following week to fill the budget. This makes sense to me but is kind of "weird math".

No comments: