Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You can still be an entrepreneur while working with someone else’s idea

j5gkbspdStarting your own business is really hard.  I should know, I’ve started a few and failed (and still feel like I’m failing on the other ones I’ve started and am working on!):

  • 1994: Tortizza
    • Why started: Dad suggested it was a good idea.  I was 17.
    • Mission: Make pizzas from tortillas, patent the name.
    • Successes: Made some tasty treats, met lawyers
    • Failed because: not interested, didn’t know how to patent.
    • What I learned: That patenting something isn’t a process I want to do.  Expensive, bureaucratic.  I hate bureaucracies (but want to create them!)
  • 1996: The Computer Dude
    • Why started: I wanted to make money during the summer and had computer and marketing skills to offer.
    • Mission: Help people use computers.
    • Successes: Made money, met many interesting people and learned about their computing needs/interests, and environments
    • Failed because: Lost interest.  People are crazy.
    • What I learned: Good customer service and marketing skills.
  • 1999: TheWesternChannel/CollegeUnderground/Bottlefed
    • Why started: Wanted to have an internet business with friends.  The thing we knew most about was our college and we had a strategy of getting a ton of content and expanding.
    • Mission: Make web sites for things we’re passionate about.
    • Successes: Very popular WWU website in 1999-2001, featured in campus and city newspapers.
    • Failed because: Had no real business model.  Geeked out on technology to much.  Wasn’t mature enough.  Got bored of college topics after college.  Needed real income after graduating from school.
    • What I learned: How to make very cool web products and communities.  Databases, systems.
  • 2002: eServices
    • Why started:  Wanted to be able to do work for companies around the area via 1099.
    • Mission: Provide professional services to area firms for high wages (work 1099).
    • Successes: Worked for a former employer for the highest wage to date.
    • Failed because: Didn’t do any marketing.  Got wrapped up in a day-job and went back to school.
    • What I learned: Not much, never really pursued this much.

The following businesses I’ve started and am still (semi-actively) working on:

  • 2006: Visualize Everything/PhatLibs
    • Why started: I love words and word games and technology and this to me is like the perfect blend.
    • Mission: Create an online word game that results in the worlds largest and most relevant database of phrases.
    • Successes: Created product.
    • What I’m learning: Launching requires money and time and energy.
  • 2007: EfficiTrends LLC
    • Why started: Saw many opportunities in the “green” space.  Really liked the idea of doing green things and being in business but socially responsible/saving the planet.
    • Mission: Provide professional services, sell the value of ‘green’ and social responsibility.
    • Successes: Built brand, created web site, did a little marketing.  Have a framework about which I can speak.
    • What I’m learning: Don’t be idealistic, be realistic.  Sell your basic values, not ideals.
  • 2011: AppsJack
    • Why started: Many opportunities in the mobile application development space.  Wanted to create a brand and market position in the space.  Know someone with a great product / process for building apps.
    • Mission: To create custom (mobile) apps for people.  Modern software development.  (And other services via EfficiTrends if necessary).
    • Successes: Created brand, met sales and technology partners, went on sales calls, built paperwork, systems, and legal framework.
    • What I’m learning: Pick the right partners.  Make sure you focus on the overall process and delivery.  Don’t be idealistic (again!).

I guess I have traction from these angles: I’ve done cool things for companies, I’ve been an employee, I’ve driven my salary up to a pretty good level, I’ve gotten grad degrees and a PMP certificate, I’ve joined companies, I’ve volunteered, I’ve built my resume and background, network.

It’d be ideal to me to have my own idea that I’m pursuing but sometimes that’s not in the cards.  Finding partners works both ways.

In order to get some traction given my current situation (employed), I’m going to try to support OTHERS in THEIR businesses.  I already do this as my day job as an employee and consultant, so why not do it also as an entrepreneur?  I don’t have to be the inventor!!! 

By doing so, the benefits are that I get to go further up the food chain (closer to owners), get good experience, have large scope, influence, and responsibility!

No comments: