Monday, August 08, 2011

My GTD/Remember the Milk Lists

A friend asked me what mine are today.  They are:
  • Inbox - Comes out of the box, used for active and important things.
  • All Tasks - out of the box...rarely use
  • Anytime / comms - Emails for phone calls I can make "whenever"
  • At home - Things to do while at home
  • At the office - Things to do at the office
  • Blog Post Ideas - List of blog posts I could write/ideas
  • Computer - Tasks requiring a "real" (non SmartPhone computer)
  • Costco - Things to buy at Costco
  • Drink Ideas - Cocktails
  • Email comms - Emails I have to send
  • Errands - Errands I have to run
  • For Home - Items for the house
  • For Trip - Items for an upcoming trip
  • For Work - Items needing to bring to / for work
  • Fun ideas - Ideas for fun things/events
  • Gift ideas - self-explanatory
  • Groceries
  • Meals - Meal ideas
  • Movies - My movie queue that I haven't yet entered into Netflix or Movies app
  • Music - Music/bands I want to study/listen to more
  • Ongoing projects - Big projects that I keep working on as a reminder
  • Places to Visit - We use this as a restaurants list that we want to go to
  • Seattle - Things in Seattle
  • Shopping - I'm not a shopper, so gift cards I have and larger purchases I need
  • Video Games - Video games I'd like to play
  • Waiting for - Things that people owe me.  A real favorite!
  • Weekday errands - Things that I have to do during the week since the places are closed on the weekend.
  • Weekday phone calls - Phone calls I have to make during business hours
  • ...Other random and specific project folders
  • Sent - A default folder
I hope you can learn from how I use this tool...

1 comment:

Eric Veal said...

I've paired these down significantly now. I find that reviewing the lists repeatedly and continuing to make 'lists that fit' helps a lot!! Here they are as of today. I still think there's a need for something like MindJet MindManager (full version) visible from the phone...


Inbox - For my main, new things…top of mind…
At condo - Place
At home - Place
At storage - Place
At the office - Place
Blog Post Ideas - Ideas I could blog about
Books - Book queue wish list backlog
Codes - Top secret!!!
Computer - Things to do on my computer
Condo - Project: Selling my condo
Costco - Place
Coupons Deals - Queue for deals and coupons I have
Debts - People who owe me stuff! (money)
Dinner - Plans for dinner
Drink Ideas - Queue of drinks to make or have
E&J Together - Things for me and Jessica to review together
EfficiTrends / Accounting - Project: personal business
Errands - Out and about
Favorite meals - Queue: things we like
For Home - Purpose context
For Trip - Purpose context
For Work - Purpose context
French Dips - Project: french dip blog
Fun - For fun (keeping most of this on Foursquare)
Gift ideas - Queue
Groceries - Queue
Guemes - Place
In Car - Place
Jessica businesses - One-off
Jessica Tasks - One-off
Movies - Queue
Music - Queue
Networking - Queue - people to network with backlog
Networking-Active - Queue - people to network with
Ongoing projects - Queue
Pantry - List
Phone calls - Queue
PMP - Project: certificate
Seattle - Place
Side Projects - Task list (too big)
Spending - Queue (money out)
Travel - Queue (trips)
Video Games - Queue