Friday, January 28, 2011

Rely on others and remove impediments

I’ve written before about the Theory of Wringable Necks.  Some people want to put things on people and delegate and not have to care about things.  This is perhaps good management but probably not good leadership.  Leaders are aware that they are the ones who are ultimately responsible and accountable for everything even when things have been delegated.  Life is a team and they’re a key member.1aynqlh0

I have a project manager who asked me to do something and I’m doing it..but slowly.  It’s taking me a long time to learn a new set of technologies and the result is tricky.  If I get it wrong, I break something.  The project manager has not provided me any input or guidance and is expecting me to get the job done.  He just stopped by to ask if I was done and the answer was, “I’m still trying to work out that one last kink.”  He offered no suggestions and simply looked disappointed. 

If you’re going to delegate a task, be prepared to involve others to get the job done.  Never assume that the person that you chose is the right person for the job or that you have the right to wring their neck if things don’t go so well.  Remove impediments for people, find support, and recognize that you (as the PM) are the one responsible for the speed and quality by which something is delivered.

1 comment:

Ira said...

WELL SAID, DAMMIT.