Saturday, November 27, 2010

My current projects

I've been staying really busy lately with quite a few side projects. Right now I have three side projects: my consulting company brand/web site/ strategy, my Visualize Everything idea, and a project I'm doing with some guys called SnoVision.

My consulting company, EfficiTrends' web site is www.efficitrends.com. I worked with a writer and a web designer about two years ago to put the site up. It was built with old (classic ASP) technology and the way the guy built the CSS structure confused me; it's way too complicated and not very reusable. But it served its basic purpose of being something I could point people to. What I've been doing on that site now is building a SQL Server back end and porting the site over to ASP.NET MVC v3.0 and I am using the Razor View Engine. I have been really happy with the progress and like what I've done. I'm using Scott Hanselman's "BIN deploy" method to get my site published to my host, Re-Invent.com. My goal for the site is to make it more dynamic and to list my past and current projects within it. I would like the site to be a comprehensive view of my capabilities as a web developer and I would also like to use it as the hub of my consulting work. There's a lot of work to do here and I'm having fun with it.

My second big project right now is VisualizeEverything.com, my online printing/t-shirt creation web site that is based on popular or community-contributed phrases. I've been working with an intern, Raheleh, on the site and she has been a great help. The one trick with that is I have to get the domain name bound to my home server and I also want to hook up web security.

My third project is helping a team of guys with their Feral Motion project. Feral Motion and their project SnoVision is a technology to automatically record and upload video of action sports athletes as they use "features" (jumps, etc. in a skate park or mountain terrain park). The technology is really cool. I've written some good code that uploads videos to Viddler and stores metadata in a MySQL database.

So I've been quite busy, FYI!

No comments: