Monday, March 22, 2010

Touch Touchy Subjects Tenderly

I'm definitely not the best at this but I think I'm getting better. Some things are taboo, some things are sensitive. This is true in both work and life of course. With specific respect to work, however, we definitely need to figure out the best way to play the politics, get ahead, and engage in the (potentially difficult or touchy) conversations that we need. This includes subjects such as compensation, coworkers, the work itself, and assignments. "Managing Up" is a skill that is talked about a lot but it is neither a class I have taken nor a subject I've read about. I just did a quick search for books on this subject: http://www.amazon.com/Managing-Up-Forge-Effective-Relationship/dp/0385507720 Does anyone recommend any good books on managing up and doing well at politics in the workplace?

No comments: