Saturday, December 20, 2008

We're All Actors


I've been thinking a lot lately about "performance". What does it mean? Here's my favorite definition from Answers.com, "A presentation, especially a theatrical one, before an audience."

I agree with this--albeit very public-sounding--definition. When I think of work I think of performance. Was the work good? Was it bad? Who was the audience? Usually your manager is witness to your work performances but sometimes they never even see, read, observe, or understand what you do. Sometimes we even get paid for performances that are not seen, heard, or used. What a waste.

I've been talking to people lately about my desire to write and speak more about my work and life passions. Blogging is one channel to accomplish the writing part but I'd also like to publish my work into other channels like journals, books, etc. To publish implies that one's intention is to SHARE his her work with an audience. The first trick, however is to identify and/or develop that audience. UNDERSTAND the audience. Who are you speaking to? What do they need and want? What are their fears and fantasies?

The more one becomes social and "out" (of their head, shell, closet, whatever it may be that's keeping them "in"), the more they act (real) and perform (well); the more they become their true selves and a key part of society.

If you're performing in a job that has a small audience and you feel like no one cares, get out of it today and do something else starting now! Grow your audience by reaching out to those around you and make a difference in your life in theirs. Let this change you take on be your NEW and NEXT performance. Make what you really love and want to do be your FINAL and REAL performance. Everything else is fake.

No comments: