Monday, July 12, 2010

Never Burden the Customer with the Backlog – Keep them Focused on the Product Itself and Let them Go About their Business

If you are good at product development, then YOU and not the customer will keep the product backlog. Never burden the customer with the list of open items or anything like that. The goal is work and progress and not the list.

Today I had a meeting with the customer and we agreed on the items that needed to appear in the next iteration. We made the list together and I shared it with him over email before I began. I'm now code complete on all of the changes. But I don't want to burden him with this detail. All he wants is quality, working software, not any administrative work.

So I'm going to demo the product to him tomorrow and tell him that all of the stuff we'd talked about last time was integrated and that we are now on a whole new review cycle. This keeps things fresh and focused.

Don't carry too much process baggage with you. The goal is the product, not the process, supporting artifacts, or other metadata.

No comments: