Thursday, April 15, 2010

Is My Project an Unintentional Agile Turnaround?!

After a very long and trying month and a half on a new project, it may be turning around to a success?!!! Could it be?! Maybe. The suggestion was even made by a senior coworker today of having "more than weekly" recurring meetings with the client to sync. I joked about having "Daily Two-Hour Standups". We're in a development rhythm (finally) and that is really satisfying. I'm really the only developer, though. That's been hard. Really long hours. 12 hour days are typical. Our project and delivery schedule is as follows: Plan Mondays and deliver Fridays. I twisted arms to add a ton of risks to our risk register today. Seems very simple moving forward but it's been hell getting here. I'm not sure how many teams work the way we're working. We have a very difficult problem we're solving; many moving parts and tons of senior-management pressure. Dates and deadlines. It's fun at the moment and I hope going well. I have a huge deliverable tomorrow and I've learned so much on this project about data movement, ETL, and SSIS. Also about people and leadership. Roles, and stepping down when you can. Let quality people be quality; let them help you out.

I'm designing an automated business process that removes 204 manual hours of work monthly. That's fun and satisfying.

No comments: